Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Finally getting to drive the porcelain bus


(With thanks to Roger's Profanisaurous, pictured above).

So far during my chemo I have avoided the most feared side effect - vomiting.

Sadly, I have broken my chunder cherry and finally succumbed.

About half an hour before going to bed last night I felt faintly nauseaus. I had just taken my sleeping pill to counteract the steroids they give you to avoid the nausea, but was not due to be able to pop any scheduled anti-emetics until the next morning. So, I popped open my first packet of Domperidone, an anti-sickness pill which had been prescribed to me for ad hoc use (more easily remembered as Dom Perignon, especially with it's reknowned brilliance as a hangover cure).

When the first one hit my tongue I felt my stomach do a mini flip. Uh oh, this one was going to be tricky. I took it with the tiniest sip of water but had to get up and run to the bathroom before the water had even hit my stomach.

I got there and literally cradled the loo for the next 5 minutes of violent eruptions. I have not been sick with such force for some time.

I spent the next half an hour letting my stomach settle before tentatively popping two more Dom Perignon pills and a half size sleeping pill (having thrown the full size one up before much chance of digesting it).

(It reminded me of that old nursery rhyme. She swallowed the Dom Perignon, to keep down the Zoplicine, which was swallowed to counter the Dexamethasone, which was injected to kill the epirubicin, which wiggled and tickled and wriggled inside her. Or something like that...)

I slept okay, and upon waking felt dehydrated so took a couple of slugs of water from my bedside glass. Twenty minutes later that came up as well, but it was just down to the bile. There was nothing in my stomach. And if there is one thing worse than throwing up, it's throwing up on an empty stomach. Plus I had to take my Dex, which needed to be swallowed around mealtimes and can only be taken with breakfast and lunch. Torn between wanting to line my stomach with something to eat and the fear of seeing it all come out again far too quickly I settled on a piece of toast and marmalade. It worked. The Dex went down with it and stayed down, and I felt much better within hours.

I even had pizza for lunch. Just to make up for all those calories lost down the loo the night before, you understand.

5 comments:

dk said...

i'm most intrigued about 'drawing mud from the well'... because i don't even understand the definition... though... maybe i do... isn't it cute that i'm not even sure...

Marie said...

My mother used to read me those nursery rhymes too.

Steve said...

love the post... and the song... don't understand the 'drawing mud from the well' definition either

Anne-Marie Weeden said...

'Drawing mud from the well' has me a little confused, it has to be said.

I just can't work out what the well is meant to be. Stomach or bottom?

Answers on a post, please...

dk said...

...well what does it say under 'follow through'... damn, there's never a geordie around when you need one...