Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bearded Lady


A while ago I was offered some advice by a fellow Lady of Advertising Who's Been Through Breast Cancer.

When your hair starts to return, you'll go through a period where your facial hair, or body hair, will just rocket in terms of how fast it grows.

Huh?
I was articulate, as always. It was over a glass of wine, for goodness sake.

She laughed. And then started to tell me again.

Honestly, there was a point when I felt like I was worried it wouldn't stop. My facial hair was suddenly really noticeable, to me at least, and I worried it wouldn't calm down!

Did it calm down? I was suddenly all seriousness. And trying to remain serious while I scanned her upper lip and jawline for stubble marks.

Then recently I read this post by B, who seems to be expressing her own fears of becoming a bearded lady.

Seems like maybe this is a normal stage of post-radio, post-chemo hair regrowth. And my own experience is proving no exception. Suddnely, the back of my cheeks, where my jawline meets my hairline (now that I have one) are getting downier by the day.

I wondered whether it might also be exarcerbated by the cold weather - where I used to winter it out in England under the insulation of my long hair, I no longer have that privilege. So like an anorexic's extra thick arm hair compensating for a lack of fat to keep them warm, my downy cheeks are compensating for warmth from another source.

But whatever the reason lets hope it stops. And soon, too.

Or else I'll end up looking like the lady above.

4 comments:

HelĂ´ said...

Now reading your post, I remember the same happened to me. There was a time when I looked at the mirror and saw my face all fluffy... I checked today, just in case I'd got used to them and just didn't notice. Nope, gone:) I don't know the reason, but I know that the drugs for breast cancer and ovarian cancer are different. So, it might be some kind of revenge of the hair follicles - they give in eventually!
Keep strong and keep your sense of humour. It's one of the best medicines, believe me.
Strong hug.

Claudia Gene said...

It is happening to me too. I thought it was my imagination. My breast cancer treatment has followed just behind yours - though I had chemo before my surgery. My head hair is now growing well and is about 1 cm long - I am so proud!

I love the blog - you say it how it is and better than I could.

Anne-Marie Weeden said...

See, I knew I wouldn't be the only one.

Thanks Helo for showing there is likely to be a clean cheek at the end of the tunnel, and Claudia, if you're anything like me you won't be able to stop touching your hair (the stuff on your head I mean, not our temporary bumfluff - revenge of the follicles!). I had four friends pile in for a 'mass feel' of my hair on Friday night because while it's growing all the time, this is hair that's never been cut (like baby's hair) and it's still soft as anything.

Great to hear from you both girls.
x

Anonymous said...

very nice post - simple but very informative

buy backlinks