Sunday, October 07, 2007

Something old, something new


Yesterday I did something old with something new.

I washed my hair with a newly purchased bottle of J&J's baby shampoo.

I haven't washed my hair for 5 months. Mainly because there wasn't any to wash.

When it was patchy and getting balder by the day I would simply put an extra big blob of facial cleanser into my hand and just wash my scalp along with my face. Then when it had pretty much all fallen out I just washed my face and sort of rinsed my head. Your hair is ultra sensitive, so using chemicals in your treatment of it is deemed foolhardy. Likewise the newly aired scalp actually went through a sort of cradle cap phase when it initially all fell out.

Then the hair started to grow. And I re-introduced the facial cleanser routine.

Then one night, probably after badminton, I ran my fingers through it (well, stroked my baby fuzziness) and smelt a faint dirty hair smell.

I've never been so over-joyed to smell a whiff of dirty hair.

(I had hair! There was enough of it to get smelly! Crack open the shampoo and lets party!)

So I had to do something about it. But chemically loaded standard shampoos are dangerous for new hair. Dying it is also a no-no.

The Pantene and the Tresemme bottles in my bathroom, gathering dust since early May, are redundant for now. So it's baby shampoo for me from now on.

No more tears, as they say...

No comments: