Friday, October 19, 2007

The start of Life After Breast Cancer


No more chemo, no more rads. No more lying on the radiation bench.

A few hours later, my last radiotherapy appointment behind me, and I feel miles better.

The emotional rollercoaster I've subjected R to over the last few days is showing itself for what it really is - the paranoid bleatings of someone who's life is slowly returning to normal and is freaking out when not everything immediately rights itself overnight.

I do believe some things will get back to normal. And some things will change forever. And one way or the other, they will work themselves out into a new everyday reality. I just hope I have the patience to deal with it with a little more dignity than I have done of late.

So everybody is asking me what happens now, medically speaking....

I have to see my oncologist at some point soon to check my recovery from the side effects of treatment.

I'm having my dodgy looking mole lopped off next Thursday to see if that is indeed a basal cell carcinoma.

I have to see the breast surgeon for another clinical and an ultrasound at some point soon to give me the formal all-clear.

And then, I hope, I will only get called back once a year, every April, for an annual mammogram to check for signs of reoccurrence.

So it's never really over, per se. But it is the start of life after breast cancer.

And that, for now, is enough for me.

4 comments:

Marie said...

I hear a hippo calling your name...

Anne-Marie Weeden said...

Just how would THAT sound?

Grunty, I'd imagine...

Elizabeth Stock said...

YOU MADE IT! Congrats! Now, to work on normal again. xo b

Marie said...

Kind of echoey and shuffly. It's hard to imitate in typed form!