Monday, December 10, 2007

Goodbye Grey


On-No...A-Grey-Hair, originally uploaded by Danz in Tokyo.

I am fed up with the hair.

After having gone through a few weeks where I quite liked the shortness of it (although to me, this shortness is long compared to recent months) it's now got to a point where it's starting to exceed the gamine boy crop look. The increased length, combined with chemo's unruly curly legacy, means the bits behind my ears are starting to curl out and kick up at the sides.

They are not charming, girlish curls. They are salt and pepper swirls like the still damp wavy curls on lambs' legs soon after birth.

And the grey is more and more dominant, the longer it grows. I was not this grey before!

So, while there is not much point in cutting it yet as no hairdresser will have much to play with, I can take action on the colour front.

Chemicals are out, ammonia and peroxide not being nice things to give your hair when it's fresh out of the follicle post-chemo, and my regular hairdresser and another local salon both shake their heads sadly. They only use chemical dyes. But one of them recommends a gem of a place in London's seedy Soho. A new hairdressing salon called Jimagi, they are dedicated to natural and organic hair colours. I phone them up and instead of some bored sixteen year old on the other end of the phone I get an intelligent stylist who knows all about hair dye and has cut and coloured plenty of post chemo crops.

A lot of people come to us after chemo she says, I'm used to dealing with really, really short hair, and it's always greyer than they remember, and curly too.

Yes I say, That sounds familiar.

In my head, I'm mouthing I love you.

In my diary, there is an appointment for later this week.

2 comments:

georgie owen said...

Love your blog Anne-Marie.
I understand where you're coming from although I didn't need chemotherapy with a 10 mm grade 1 er/pr+++, lymph node negative tumour some five years ago now.
What is common to all of us experiencing breast cancer is the shock and utter fear at the time of diagnosis. It takes time to get over that and I don't believe we ever really do. My mind tells me that if such an event has happened once, it can happen again. Hence some degree of post- BC anxiety over health issues and any new symptom anywhere.
Life does go on however and as time passes, you never forget but you do move forward strongly and with purpose and enjoy life.
It appears you're not going to have any ongoing treatment with a triple negative tumour. You won't be bothered with any hormone therapy drug side effects as I was.
Keep up your blog and I shall look forward to read how you are going.


Georgie Owen
Melbourne
Australia

Dr Jude said...

there is only one thing to do with short curly hair: let it be short and curly. I use some product just to give myself a sense of control and a nice smell & shine. Then I smile a lot and bat my eyelids in the hope that no-one will notice that mess of a mop on top of my head.

my stylist's comment on growing my hair: the key is getting it past the ears. The problem is, which bit? It's all different lengths and some of it is already past my ears but other bits are not. Growing hair is the most frustrating thing ... I'll probably cut it soon again.