Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy Anniversary


65th Wedding Anniversary, originally uploaded by paddysat.

As life moves on and the pages fly off the calendar I find myself chalking up more milestones. Any 29th of a month is either the anniversary of the day I was diagnosed, or the day I was meant to fly to Uganda, whichever way you look at it. The 1st of any month is another month since my first chemo, back on 1st May. And the 19th is the day I finished radiotherapy.

There have been so many milestones in the last ten months I could make an anniversary fit with pretty much any date you throw at me.

But lately I have been starting to focus less on the dates. I no longer anticipate them - I spent the week before Christmas thinking 'It's a week until my nine month anniversary since finding the lump. These dates no longer loom on the calendar and I find myself wondering if losing track of them means that finally I'm starting to put it all behind me, properly.

I had dinner with three very close friends this week and we all had really good tidings to share. And even those with no dramatic bombshells were marking the days until a new addition to the family, or a new home.

And it just felt like for once in our combined lives all our fortunes were aligned.

2008 seems like it's going to be a year filled with new beginnings, new places, new additions. We were all busy looking forward and not backwards.

And that, my friends, is why I didn't notice it was ten months today since finding the lump. At any rate, not until somebody I hadn't seen in a while asked me about when it all started.

1 comment:

irene said...

It does become easier to forget the dates with time. Well done you for achieving this in 10 months. It's taken me a bit longer, but it has started to happen and my second anniversary slipped by before I knew it.