Wednesday, October 10, 2012

And life goes by in a flash


Nearly three years have passed since I wrote up our Kidepo trip. Needless to say my intentions are to start posting again - so this is just a heads up in that regard. Whether or not I actually live up to my own intentions is anyone's guess. Life seems so busy nowadays.

In the interim, what's happened? We left Uganda in 2011, after three years at Red Chilli, for some time in the UK. We had a great time catching up properly with family and friends (two weeks is NEVER enough) and spent best part of the summer living in a caravan - which was unexpectedly great. But we returned to Uganda before six months had passed. Was it the African climate calling as the British winter approached, or something deeper than that? Only time will tell - for now, Uganda feels more like home than any other place and continues to delight and frustrate in equal measure on a daily basis.

I swapped budget safaris for the opposite end of the spectrum. I now deal with VIP clients and private helicopter transfers at a classy outfit called The Far Horizons - Journeys Discovering Africa. The clients want 'same, same but different' as in the budget sector - everyone is looking for value these days, whether it's for $30,000 or $300. It's fun - the scope for creativity when designing bespoke itineraries is huge - and there is a lot of international marketing to be done which suits me just fine. 

R has had less luck with work of late, having had a miserable damb squib of a summer in the UK trying to get some bucks in, but it looks like he is coming back soon to some decent work opportunities here which is great (not least for him but it means I get to SEE him). 

We have a granny flat on top of a very green hill. A tiny apartment with a million dollar view. I wake up every morning to trees and birds. Sometimes I see stuff noone really believes exists in Kampala city limits anymore - like the time I saw a Jackal late one night driving home, or two weeks ago in broad daylight when I made beady-eyed contact with a tiny Banded Mongoose. Being reminded where you are by exotic wildlife popping into daily life does make it rather special.

So there will be more posts, on life here, with a focus on the personal rather than general safari experiences (you can find those online at my company's news and blog feed) but as safari is fast becoming a way of life, it'll probably end up being a bit of both.

Oh, and I nearly forgot. I'm five years cancer-free. That's what five years does for you - it pushes it right to the back of your mind. I now only panic when it's the night before my annual check up. So hooray for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I simply wanted to take time to make a comment and say I have really enjoyed reading your site.